Thursday, July 21, 2011

Focus

When I started playing eve in 07, it never really occurred to me that in just over 4 years id be where i am now! Back then we still had the learning skills, which i didn't train right off the bat, and we had to make a career choice with set skills and attribute! At that time skill learning was an endless mesh of choices and we didn't have certificates to help guide our choices! No skill queue's or neural remapping if a year down the road you feel you made the wrong choice for the skills you want!

My capsuleer career started out as most pvp oriented players. Choosing a military life and what not. I can remember not caring to fly anything but a battleship. My noobish mind thinking naturally a battleship is bigger than a frigate, cruiser, etc etc! Naturally I i trained straight to battleship and naturally all I could fit on it were small guns! I was the king of Eve at that moment buying my first battleship. (I made a deal with a friend that if I started playing he must pay for my ships and such until I could fend for myself) I figured right then and there would be a good time to test my new ship! Safe to say I didn't last long against the Concord Police!

Four years later, with a few breaks here and there, I find it hard to keep focus on one path of learning! I have multiple toons as most players do(but without plex's they're usually not activated at the same time) and im the kind of guy who likes to focus one one aspect per toon, ie pvp toon, industry toon, etc etc. I could continue capital training but really I don't want a super cap. I like docking when I need to and with the mindset of some eve players they'll take anything if its free and empty of a pilot :p I also have a lot of skills at lvl 4 that could and should go to lvl 5 but I found out that if I don't get a "skill training complete" message every few days I feel like I'm not getting anything done! My focus on those long skill trainings tend to go away and 3 days of training a 28 day skill I decide to switch skill then 3 days into that one I switch to another. I have a lot of skills partially learned!

I guess I started thinking about it this past week really! After coming back from a 6 month break and not knowing where the hell I was in my skill training plans I figured id just do a couple random things until it comes back to me! Waiting for standings in our new home for the past week has got me skill spinning and even more confused on what I need to be training! Tried to keep busy buy gathering intel on targets and such but there is only so much you can see from safe spots! Ive tried randomly bombing ships as they undock to keep myself busy but the locals either get agitated or think I'm a total newb for bombing their ibis when im just passing the time! It only seems to help for a short time these days!

Any idea's on how to keep the focus off my skill training long enough to get some long skills done? Anyone else have the focus issue? How do you keep from skill spinning?

No comments: