Sunday, July 31, 2011

Station Games! Who's The Real Culprit? Part 1

A couple of blog post caught my attention this month! Both post coming from Rixx Javix at Eveoganda with the original topic being HERE and the revisited topic HERE! These post, imho, are good post but shine light on a small portion of a bigger picture! That picture being the all but elusive station game! I'm gonna focus on the the dockers this time around but part 2 will cover the station campers! Ill attempt to play devil's advocate and give insight to both sides of this "game!"


We've all been there! Whether its on the inside or outside. Group A jumps into system and group B goes to station! Group A camps station and taunts group B for docking while group B points the station game finger at group A! I've seen both sides be blamed for station games, but who is the real culprit? Today we will focus on the dockers.


Rixx's opinion is, as most other hardcore pvp'ers, is that docking is cowardice! Others say docking is a viable tactic in Eve! Now Rixx, obviously being more intelligent than most his critics, has put up a good argument about his view and states that there are times when docking is logical but most of the time its cowardice! Imo this view is very...small minded for lack of a better term!

Quote from Rixx

I've given this some thought. The only time I can think of when docking-up is a proper tactic is immediately after undocking. In the face of overwhelming station campers, war dec'ers, or bubbles, it is completely proper to simply re-dock. In fact, you'd be an idiot not to. There is also one other time when docking up is actually a tactic of combat. Sometimes, and this is rare, docking and then immediately undocking can give you a tactical advantage over someone on station. Either that or provide bait on the undock. These instances don't really count here, since the intention is to immediately undock again.

But to say docking is a combat tactic is beyond silly. In most cases it is cowardice, pure and simple. Being actually "in" space is the only place from which tactical advantage can be gained over space combat. You have to be in space to fight in space

Any person familiar with war understands that you don't have to be on the field of battle to gain a tactical advantage! Yes, fighting 1v1 would require you to be on the field but from my understanding we are talking gang/fleet warfare! Tactical advantage for your gang, fleet, corp, or alliance can come from many places!


Personally I believe that any and everything in Eve can be used to someones tactical advantage! One personal tactic I have with docking is chatting up local for 1v1 against reds (knowing they wont agree or honor it) and forming a fleet in intel channels at the same time! Obviously I don't dock up right away! A few scans to get ship types and hold on a station until attacked or hold on safe till probes come out but I will eventuallt dock! I dock to keep my focus on everything (fleet forming, sharing intel, local banter to keep reds interested enough to stay, and getting a proper fighting ship) I need to so I don't get a cloaky on me! But I don't undock right way! I may undock and redock a few times to check station and put a ship on their scans! I may stay docked and never join the fight (yeah right) or just chew the fat with them and hope any scouts they have don't see my fleet coming! If they leave and one stays behind, depending if fleet is ready, ill become bait but if they all leave then we get to roam awhile! Does it work every time and can everyone accomplish enough composure to do this? The answer is no but it can be done and done well enough to have a good fight! Is the pen mightier than the sword? Ive never seen a pen kill someone but it can be used! Point being that there are tactics out there with station docking involved!

With all that said, I do agree with every ounce of pod gel running through my body that docking up just to avoid a fight is cowardice IF you claim to be pvp oriented and have capable fighting ships! As far as the carebears are concerned, well as much as I would love for you to stay put and take it like a true capsuleer, I can understand the need to dock! That being said, when you tools do dock up, don't start blaming the fleet that came in for playing station games when I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to play outside the station!

Part 2 in a few days!

1 comment:

Acute Dragonis said...

I would like to state before it happens! (if it even happens at all)

This isn't a stab at Rixx and his opinions! It just happens that his views on docking play into my point about station games!

Mucho Kudos to Rixx and everything he does!